Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Grand and Summit Counties Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on June 27, 2016
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
26-27 in 1965... wind gusts to 38 mph were recorded in downtown
Boulder... causing widespread minor damage. A microburst wind
gust to 41 mph was recorded at Stapleton International
27 in 1873... Pikes Peak was hidden from view by smoke from Forest
fires in the mountains to the southwest of the city.
In 1927... the temperature cooled to a low of only 72 degrees...
the all-time record high minimum for the month.
In 1980... lightning injured 4 people on a baseball Diamond in
Broomfield. The Bolt seriously injured the Pitcher while
also striking (out) the batter... catcher and second baseman.
In 1987... a microburst wind gust to 53 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport.
In 1990... the temperature reached a high of 102 degrees...
setting a new record maximum for the date.
In 1993... thunderstorm winds gusted to 60 mph across parts of
Metro Denver. A wind gust to 50 mph blew over a 30-foot
Canvas tent at an amusement park southeast of Denver.
Fifteen people... mostly children... were injured. Microburst
wind gusts to 33 mph were recorded at Stapleton
In 2002... heavy rain... up to 3/4 inch... fell across sections of
the Hayman burn area near cheeseman Reservoir. Several
Forest service roads were washed out and many culverts were
plugged by debris.
In 2004... heavy rain producing thunderstorms caused rock and
mud slides across the overland fire burn area in Jamestown.
An estimated 50 tons of sand... dirt... rock... and ash slid into
town... filling a culvert under Main Street. The slide covered
150 to 225 feet of Main Street. The flood was produced by
half an inch of rain in 30 minutes. A deluge of very heavy
rainfall from nearly stationary thunderstorms caused flooding
and flash flooding problems over parts of Jefferson and
Douglas counties. An automated rain gage in Golden measured
3.60 inches of rainfall in one hour. Numerous homes were
flooded in Golden... including one that was 146 years old.
The home was listed as a complete loss. State Highway 93
had to be closed from the Pine Ridge subdivision to the
Golden Gate Canyon Road. At the height of the storm... about
4 feet of water covered State Highway 93 through Golden...
forcing its temporary closure. Several intersections were
also flooded and Impassable. Rock and mud slides were
reported in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. At the Deer
Creek Golf course at Colorado 470 and Kipling... The Greens
were completely inundated by floodwaters. Some backyards
near The Golf Course were partially washed out. In Douglas
County... water up to a foot deep covered the roadways in
Roxborough State Park. The Waterton canyon Road also had to
be closed due to high water.
In 2010... a severe thunderstorm produced hail up to 1 inch
in diameter near Strasburg. Hail up to 3/4 inch in diameter
was reported in Aurora and Buckley air field.
In 2014... a severe thunderstorm produced hail... up to 1 inch
in diameter... near ft. Lupton.
- Alabama - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- Arizona - Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flash Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Illinois - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Flood Warning
- Kentucky - Flash Flood Watch
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Dense Fog Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Heat Advisory
- New Mexico - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- Ohio - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Utah - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning
- Wyoming - Record Report
- - Small Craft Advisory