Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Grand and Summit Counties Below 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on March 29, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
27-29 in 1948... high winds raked Boulder. A wind gust to 75 mph was
recorded at Valmont. Sustained winds in excess of 35 mph
were estimated in Boulder. Minor damage was reported.
In 1961... heavy snowfall totaled 9.5 inches at Stapleton
Airport over the 3 day period. Most of the snow... 5.3
inches... fell on the 28th. Winds were generally light
and gusted to only 22 mph from the north.
28-29 in 1891... rain changed to snow and totaled 9.7 inches in the
city. Northeast winds were sustained to 12 mph with gusts
to 28 mph on the 28th.
In 1910... a strong cold front brought much wind... rain... and
and snow to the city. Rain on the 28th changed to snow
early on the 29th. Snowfall totaled only 2.8 inches... but
north winds were sustained to 50 mph on the 29th.
Precipitation from the storm totaled 0.96 inch.
In 1994... moist upslope winds combined with an upper level
system to dump 5 to 7 inches of snow along the eastern
foothills and across Metro Denver. Snowfall totaled
6.3 inches at Stapleton International Airport where
northeast winds gusted to 39 mph. Thirteen inches of
new snow were measured at the Eldora ski area west of
28-30 in 1949... a major winter storm dumped 11.3 inches of snow over
downtown Denver. Snowfall totaled 10.4 inches at Stapleton
Airport. North to northeast winds were sustained to 17 mph.
In 1985... a slow moving snow storm moved across the state.
Denver received only 4.0 inches of snowfall with amounts in
the foothills totaling 1 to 2 feet. Still... this was enough
snow in Denver to cause flight delays of up to 6 hours at
Stapleton International Airport on the night of the 29th.
East winds gusted to 28 mph on the 28th.
29 in 1887... west winds sustained to 44 mph warmed the
temperature to a high of 62 degrees.
In 1921... Post-frontal northeast winds were sustained to
46 mph with gusts to 52 mph.
In 1925... southeast winds were sustained to 46 mph with
gusts to 48 mph. These were the strongest winds of the
month that year. The winds warmed the temperature to a
high of 72 degrees.
In 1934... a construction worker was killed by lightning as
he walked with a shovel on his shoulder along Cherry
Creek in the city. The thunderstorm produced light rain.
In 1967... a southwest wind gust to 52 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport. The warm Chinook winds
warmed the temperature to 79 degrees equaling the record
for the date.
In 1979... a tornado touched down 4 miles southwest of Parker...
but caused no reported damage.
In 1998... four children attending a birthday party in Denver
were injured when an apparent dry microburst produced a
sudden strong wind gust which blew an inflatable playhouse
they were occupying into a neighbors yard. The playhouse
scraped the roof of the host's two-story house... then landed
in the adjoining yard. The children were treated for minor
head injuries and cuts.
29-30 in 1938... overnight heavy snowfall was 6.3 inches over
In 1982... strong winds buffeted Metro Denver... breaking windows
and damaging roofs. Wind gusts to 90 mph were recorded in
Boulder and 51 mph at Stapleton Airport. The strong winds
flattened a condominium under construction in Lakewood.
In 1991... 1 to 6 inches of snow fell across Metro Denver with
the heaviest snow confined to the foothills. Six inches of
snow was recorded at South Platte in the foothills
southwest of Denver and 3 inches at Castle Rock. Snowfall
totaled only 0.7 inch at Stapleton International Airport
where northeast winds gusted to 33 mph on the 29th.
29-31 in 1970... snowfall totaled 6.0 inches at Stapleton
International Airport. Heavy snow accumulation in Boulder
on the 29th caused the collapse of a carport at an apartment
building... damaging 11 automobiles. Northeast winds gusted
to 24 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
- Alabama - Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report
- California - Dense Fog Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Fire Weather Warning
- Georgia - Freeze Warning , Special Statement
- Idaho - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- Kansas - Fire Weather Warning
- Kentucky - Flood Warning
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Flood Watch
- Maryland - Record Report
- Massachusetts - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Minnesota - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Montana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nebraska - Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Mexico - Record Report
- New York - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Freeze Warning , Hard Freeze Warning , Record Report
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Record Report
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oklahoma - Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Oregon - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania - Record Report
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Watch, Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Freeze Warning , Frost Advisory , Hard Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Utah - Record Report
- Virginia - Hard Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Warning , Record Report