Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Larimer and Boulder Counties Between 6000 and 9000 Feet
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MDT on May 25, 2015
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
20-27 in 2002... lightning sparked a wildfire near Deckers. Extremely
dry conditions and very strong winds the following day
allowed the fire... known as the Schoonover... to consume 3850
acres before it could be contained. Thirteen structures
were destroyed... including 4 homes... resulting in 2.2 million
dollars in damage.
24-26 in 1996... a late Spring snowstorm dumped 4 to 10 inches of
snow over the Front Range foothills. Conifer picked up
10 inches of new snow; Aspen Springs... 9 inches; and
Central City... 8 inches. The sticky... heavy snow clung to
power lines and pulled tree branches down... causing power
outages to about 1200 homes in the Conifer area. It took
up to 6 hours to restore power to some residences.
Lightning struck a telephone data Cabinet in Conifer on
the 25th... which knocked out phone service to about 1500
customers. Widespread rain fell across Metro Denver...
where rainfall totaled 2.07 inches at the site of the
former Stapleton International Airport and 1.66 inches at
Denver International Airport where north winds gusted to
24 mph on the 26th.
In 2010... high winds preceding a cold front... swept across
the Front Range foothills and urban corridor. In Aurora...
the wind damaged the roof of rangeview High School. In
Conifer and Denver... the wind downed trees and power
lines and caused several brief outages. The downed
power lines also caused several cars to catch fire in
the vicinity of 1590 Cook St. In Denver. Peak wind gusts
included: 82 mph at Highlands Ranch... 67 mph... 4 miles
east of Franktown and longmont; 65 mph in Boulder... 64 mph
in centenniel and Denver International Airport... 62 mph
near Parker and 60 mph in Arvada.
25 in 1877... lightning killed one person in west Denver and
struck several houses. The Bolt struck the house of the
"home laundry" stunning the occupants and killing a lady
who was holding one of her grand children in her arms.
The child escaped unhurt. The lightning also struck the
top of a tree in front of the house and partially peeled
the bark off the tree. Lightning struck a church in the
Evans addition and another tree in east Denver. Lightning
struck the switch room at the Telegraph office where the
operator saw small balls of lightning pass across the room
to the stove. The thunderstorm pelted the city with only
pea size hail. Precipitation from the storm totaled 0.40
inch in downtown Denver.
In 1880... light rain all afternoon totaled only 0.24 inch
in the city... but was valuable to stockmen and farmers
due to the very dry... parched weather conditions on the
In 1965... a tornado was sighted by a pilot 30 miles south
southeast of Denver. No damage was reported. Another
pilot reported 3/4 inch hail 30 miles east of Denver. The
state patrol reported that a man was killed when a fierce
gust of wind swept him from the back of a pick-up truck in
northwest Douglas County. The man was holding a mattress
in the bed of the truck.
In 1974... a microburst wind gust to 53 mph was recorded at
Stapleton International Airport. A pilot reported a tornado
20 miles east of Denver.
In 1976... lightning struck a home in Boulder... shattering 2
large trees and damaging a television set.
In 1997... hail as large as 1 3/4 inches in diameter fell near
Watkins. Hail to 3/4 inch in diameter fell in Broomfield
and near Lochbuie.
In 2000... 3/4 inch diameter hail fell at Cherry Creek Reservoir
in Aurora. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 51 mph at Denver
International Airport where small hail fell.
In 2006... a severe thunderstorm produced an estimated wind gust
to 70 mph in Hudson. The strong winds damaged the roof of a
home. A thunderstorm produced southwest wind gusts to 54
mph at Denver International Airport.
25-26 in 1950... a major storm dumped 10.0 inches of snowfall
downtown and 10.7 inches at Stapleton Airport where
northwest winds gusted to 30 mph on the 25th. The storm
caused extensive damage to utility wires and trees which
were in full Leaf. A daily record minimum temperature of
31 degrees occurred on the 25th. This was the coldest
temperature on this date in 79 years and for so late in the
In 1989... a late season snow storm dropped snow as low as 6
thousand feet along the Front Range. Most places in the
foothills had 2 to 5 inches of snow. Overnight rainfall
totaled 0.33 inch at Stapleton International Airport where
north winds gusted to 37 mph on the 25th.
In 1994... lightning struck a television transmitter on Lookout
Mountain near Golden and burned out a switcher... which
disrupted cable service for 2 hours.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - Areal Flood Warning , Record Report
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- California - Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New Jersey - Public Information Statement
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Record Report
- South Carolina - Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Flood Warning
- Texas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Tornado Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement