Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Larimer County Below 6000 Feet/Northwest Weld County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 3:59 AM MDT on March 09, 2014
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
8-9 in 1992... a major blizzard struck Metro Denver. The storm
was preceded by thunderstorms with small hail during the
afternoon of the 8th. By evening... with the passage of a
strong Arctic cold front... snow began falling. Strong north
to northeast winds at 30 to 40 mph with gusts to 52 mph
produced near zero visibilities in blizzard conditions
across Metro Denver. By the morning of the 9th... snowfall
amounts up to a foot and a half were reported with drifts
of 2 to 4 feet. Many roads were closed including I-70 east
of Denver and I-25 both north and south of Denver. Many
homes and stores were temporarily without power. Snowfall
amounts included: 18 inches at Conifer... 13 inches in
Boulder and Denver... 12 inches at Brighton and Morrison... and
10 inches at Aurora. Snowfall totaled 12.4 inches at
Stapleton International Airport where north winds gusting
as high as 52 mph reduced the visibility to zero at times
in heavy snow and blowing snow.
In 2002... high winds occurred in the foothills west of Denver.
Winds gusted to 95 mph near Fritz Peak and to 73 mph near
8-10 in 1989... unusually warm weather set four daily temperature
records in Denver. The high temperature of 74 degrees on
the 8th exceeded the record. Records were equaled on the
9th with a high of 77 degrees and the 10th with a high of
79 degrees. The low temperature of 42 degrees on the 10th
set a new record high minimum for the date.
9 in 1918... northwest winds sustained to 44 mph with gusts as
high as 52 mph occurred during the early morning hours.
In 1960... west-northwest winds gusted to 51 mph at
In 1980... high winds were recorded in the foothills with a
wind gust to 84 mph at Wondervu. Northwest winds gusted
to 38 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1982... strong Chinook winds buffeted the foothills in
Boulder. Wind gusts of 60 to 90 mph toppled a microwave
dish antenna and blew the shell off a Camper. West winds
gusted to 47 mph at Stapleton International Airport.
In 1986... high winds in the foothills with gusts of 60 to 70
mph were reported at Golden Gate Canyon and in Boulder.
Northwest winds gusted to 35 mph at Stapleton
9-10 in 1904... strong Chinook winds raked the city for 2 days. On
the 9th... west winds sustained to 53 mph with gusts to 62
mph warmed the temperature to a high of 55 degrees. On
the 10th... west winds were sustained to 48 mph with gusts
to 54 mph. The high temperature was 58 degrees.
In 2013... a storm system brought heavy snow to areas in and
near the Front Range mountains and foothills where storm
totals included: 13 inches at Berthoud Pass snotel... 12
inches at Arapahoe ridge; 11 inches... 5 miles southwest of
golden; 10.5 inches near kittridge; 10 inches at Lake
Eldora and Pine junction; 9.5 inches near Conifer... 9
inches... near Bailey and 9 miles east-northeast of
Nederland... Joe Wright and strontia Springs. Along the
urban corridor... some storm totals included: 8.5 inches at
Highlands Ranch and near morrison; 8 inches in arvada;
7 inches... 5 miles northeast of westminster; 6.5 inches at
centenniel... Lone Tree and wheat ridge; 6 inches in west
Denver... Hygiene... Lyons and Thornton... 5.5 inches in
broomfield; with 5 inches in Aurora and the former
Stapleton International Airport. Across the Palmer Divide
and northeast plains of Colorado... storm totals ranged
anywhere from 2 to 10 inches. The combination of snow and
strong wind produced blizzard conditions and forced the
closure of Interstate 70 east of Denver. Sustained winds
of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph produced near zero
visibilities at times and snowpacked roads. Snowdrifts
from 2 to 4 feet deep were reported. As a result... many of
the roadways became impassable. Officially... Denver
international recored 5.4 inches of snowfall on the 9th.
In addition... a peak wind gust to 38 mph was observed from
9-11 in 1927... rain changed to heavy snow behind a cold front and
totaled 7.7 inches over downtown Denver. North winds were
sustained to 37 mph with an extreme velocity to 38 mph on
In 1955... a strong windstorm raked the eastern foothills. A
wind gust to 95 mph was recorded at Rocky Flats with a gust
to 60 mph measured at Valmont. Damage in Boulder totaled
10 thousand dollars. Minor injuries also occurred. The
strong winds were associated with a vigorous cold front
that produced northwest winds at 40 mph with gusts as high
as 52 mph at Stapleton Airport where the visibility was
briefly reduced to 3/4 mile in blowing dust on the 10th.
In 1968... 5.5 inches of snow fell at Stapleton International
Airport where northeast winds gusted to 24 mph on the 10th.
9-19 in 1906... an extended cold and blustery period occurred with
light snow totaling 14.4 inches over 11 consecutive days.
The greatest amount of snow on a single day was 4.0 inches
on the 15th. Only a trace of snow fell on the 12th and 17th.
High temperatures were below freezing for the entire period.
The coldest were 14 degrees on the 16th and 18 degrees on the
17th. Both readings were record low maximums for the dates.
Low temperatures were mostly in the single digits. The
coldest were 2 degrees below zero on the 16th and 5 degrees
below zero on the 19th. Northeast winds were sustained to
22 mph on the 9th. North winds were sustained to 36 mph on
the 10th... 32 mph on the 13th... and 22 mph on the 15th.
- Alaska - Winter Storm Watch , Wind Chill Advisory , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Dense Fog Advisory
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - High Surf Warning
- Idaho - Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Minnesota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Special Weather Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oklahoma - Special Statement
- Oregon - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement
- Tennessee - Flood Warning
- Texas - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Advisory , High Wind Warning , Special Statement