Current Watches and Warnings
Florida, St. Lucie
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 6:03 AM EDT on April 20, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on April 20, 2014
... High rip current risk in effect through 800 PM...
The National Weather Service in Melbourne has issued a high rip
current risk... which is in effect through this evening.
* Timing... increasing north winds coupled with a long period swell
from an oceanic storm will produce a high risk of rip currents
today. While the risk will be high all day... the threat will be
even higher around the times of low tides... through about 900
am this morning and again starting around 300 PM this afternoon.
* Impacts... the powerful Seward pull of a rip current can carry
even the strongest swimmer out beyond The Sand Bar. Beachgoers
and especially weak swimmers should heed the advice of the beach
patrol. Swim only within sight of a lifeguard. Never swim alone.
There is a high risk of rip currents.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as jetties and
piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay
attention to flags and posted signs.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current. Even a strong
swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
Local Storm Report
04/19/2014 0645 am
2 miles N of Fort Pierce, St Lucie County.
Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by newspaper.
Boat yard in Fort Pierce reported a few boats knocked
over and some additional boats damaged. Time estimated by
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Fire Weather Watch
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - High Surf Advisory , Record Report
- Connecticut - Flood Warning
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Hawaii - Wind Advisory
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Warning
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New York - Flood Warning
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Ohio - Special Statement
- Oregon - High Surf Advisory
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- South Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Special Statement
- Vermont - Flood Warning
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory
- West Virginia - Special Statement
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning
- Wyoming - Special Statement