Current Watches and Warnings
Statement as of 10:32 PM EDT on October 30, 2014
Expires 10:00 AM EST on November 02, 2014
... Freeze watch remains in effect from late Friday night through
... Freeze watch remains in effect from Saturday evening through
A freeze watch remains in effect from late Friday night through
Saturday morning. A freeze watch remains in effect from Saturday
evening through Sunday morning.
* Temperatures... falling to around the freezing mark in most
locations on Friday night... with 20s at 2000 feet elevation
and above. Widespread below freezing temperatures are expected
again on Saturday night... with lows bottoming out in the mid
20s to around 30 range.
* Timing... temperatures will drop to around or below freezing
after midnight Friday night and not rise above freezing until
mid morning on Saturday. Temperatures will fall below freezing
after midnight on Saturday night and remain below freezing
until mid morning Sunday morning.
* Impacts... Road and sidewalks may drop at or below freezing
during the early morning hours Saturday and Sunday. This could
create some slick spots and make traveling potentially
hazardous. Frost will develop in many areas and this freeze
should kill most crops and other sensitive vegetation...
effectively ending the growing season.
A freeze watch means sub-freezing temperatures are possible.
These conditions could kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.
Statement as of 4:10 PM EDT on October 30, 2014
Expires 5:00 AM EDT on October 31, 2014
... First snow of the season expected for much of the area Friday
night into Saturday...
A developing area of low pressure will send a strong cold front south
across eastern Kentucky late Friday into Friday night. This low
pressure system and associated cold front will produce periods of
precipitation from Friday into Saturday night. Temperatures are
expected to drop sharply Friday evening into the overnight hours.
These falling temperatures... will allow rain to mix with and
gradually change to snow... starting in the highest elevations along
the Virginia border early Friday evening. Snow levels will lower
through the night with valley locations possibly mixing with and
changing to snow towards dawn Saturday. In addition to the cold and
snowy conditions... winds will be brisk behind the cold front with
some gusts up to 25 mph Friday evening possible.
At this time... most of the snow accumulation will be in areas above
1500 feet... where 1 to 3 inches of snow will be possible. The
highest elevations in far eastern Kentucky... above 3000 feet... could
see locally higher amounts in the 3 to 6 inch range and a Winter
Weather Advisory is now in effect for the counties that border
Virginia Friday night into Saturday. Most of the snow accumulations
will reside on grassy and elevated surfaces due to warm ground
temperatures. Little if any snow accumulation is expected across the
Bluegrass region or in valley locations.
In addition... freezing temperatures are expected Friday night...
Saturday night... and Sunday night. A hard freeze may occur in the I-75
corridor Saturday night... with a hard freeze and frost expected
area-wide Sunday night. Those with sensitive plants will need to take
action to protect them through the weekend.
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arkansas - Lake Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory, Freeze Watch , Lake Wind Advisory, Freeze Warning , Freeze Warning , Freeze Watch
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement
- Colorado - Freeze Warning , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Freeze Watch
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Illinois - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Indiana - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Freeze Warning , Freeze Watch
- Iowa - Freeze Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Freeze Warning
- Kentucky - Winter Weather Advisory, Freeze Watch , Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning , Special Statement
- Michigan - Lakeshore Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Freeze Watch
- Missouri - Freeze Warning , Freeze Watch
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch
- Nevada - Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- North Carolina - Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- North Dakota - Wind Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Freeze Watch
- Oklahoma - Freeze Watch , Freeze Warning
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Tennessee - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Freeze Watch
- Virginia - Frost Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory
- Wisconsin - Wind Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Gale Warning