Current Watches and Warnings
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 12:28 PM EDT on September 28, 2016
Expires 8:00 AM EDT on September 30, 2016
... Flash Flood Watch now in effect from 6 PM EDT this evening
through Friday morning...
The Flash Flood Watch is now in effect for
* portions of Maryland... the District of Columbia... Virginia and
West Virginia... including the following areas... in Maryland...
Anne Arundel... Calvert... Carroll... central and eastern
Allegany... central and southeast Howard... central and
southeast Montgomery... Charles... Frederick MD... northern
Baltimore... northwest Harford... northwest Howard... northwest
Montgomery... Prince Georges... southeast Harford... southern
Baltimore... St. Marys and Washington. The District of
Columbia. In Virginia... Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria...
Clarke... Culpeper... eastern Loudoun... Fairfax... Frederick VA...
Greene... King George... Madison... northern Fauquier... northern
Virginia Blue Ridge... Orange... Page... Prince
William/Manassas/Manassas Park... Rappahannock... Shenandoah...
southern Fauquier... Spotsylvania... Stafford... Warren and
western Loudoun. In West Virginia... Berkeley... eastern
Mineral... Hampshire... Hardy... Jefferson and Morgan.
* From 6 PM EDT this evening through Friday morning
* a powerful low pressure system over the Midwest will bring
periods of heavy rain to our area tonight through Thursday
* Widespread rainfall amounts of 3 to 6 inches are expected... with
localized spots potentially getting up to a foot of rain.
Additionally... the eastern slopes of the northern Blue Ridge
and catoctin mountains have an increased risk for greater
* High potential exists for flooding of small streams... as well as
urban areas. Additionally there is a potential for the hardest
hit locations to see severe flooding and flash flooding.
These next few days will be a dangerous time... requiring more
than the usual awareness... planning and preparations.
If you are near streams or drainage ditches... keep an eye on them
and be ready to quickly seek higher ground. Water may rise
Clear out storm drains.
Those prone to basement flooding should prepare. Communities
prone to flooding should prepare.
Continue to check in on the forecast for updates.
Warnings will be issued for areas where flooding is imminent. Ensure
you get warnings from the National Weather Service through your
Mobile phone and or NOAA Weather Radio.
Be prepared to take action if a warning is issued for where you
are or if flooding is observed.
Ensure your kids dont play near flood waters.
Remember if you come across water crossing a Road... turn around
- Alabama - Public Information Statement
- Alaska - Coastal Flood Warning , High Surf Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Arkansas - Public Information Statement
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Flash Flood Watch
- Florida - Beach Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Fire Weather Watch
- North Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- Oklahoma - Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Areal Flood Watch
- South Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Virginia - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- Wisconsin - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- - Small Craft Advisory