Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 10:07 PM EDT on June 28, 2017
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on June 29, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Thursday
* high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming
* Strong structural currents expected.
* Strong longshore currents expected.
* Rip currents expected.
* Location... beaches from St. Joseph to Manistee.
Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions include...
South Beach in South Haven...
Grand Haven State Park...
Pere Marquette Park in Muskegon.
* Overview/potential impacts... south southwest winds to 30 mph
will generate waves to 5 to 8 feet north of Holland tonight
and waves of 3 to 6 feet south of Holland. The most dangerous
conditions will be on the south side of pier structures.
Conditions will continue to be hazardous into Thursday, before
winds and waves diminish mid Thursday afternoon.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and
wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can
sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure.
A longshore current is a lake current that moves parallel to
shore. Longshore currents can be strong enough to prevent
swimmers from being able to keep their feet on the bottom...
making it difficult to return to shore.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water.
- Alabama - Flood Warning
- Arizona - Fire Weather Warning
- California - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Tornado Warning , Tornado Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement
- District of Columbia - Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Idaho - Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Michigan - Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flood Warning
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- New Mexico -
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Record Report
- Texas - Flood Warning , Beach Hazard Statement
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Wisconsin - Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Public Information Statement