Current Watches and Warnings
Severe Thunderstorm Watch
Statement as of 8:43 PM CDT on September 01, 2014
Expires 3:00 AM EDT on September 02, 2014
Severe Thunderstorm Watch 487 remains in effect until 200 am CDT
. Missouri counties included are
Audrain Barry Barton
Bates Benton Boone
Callaway Camden Cass
Cedar Christian Cole
Cooper Crawford Dade
Dallas Dent Franklin
Gasconade Greene Henry
Hickory Iron Jasper
Jefferson Johnson Laclede
Lawrence Lincoln McDonald
Maries Miller Moniteau
Montgomery Morgan Newton
Osage Pettis Phelps
Pike Polk Pulaski
St. Charles St. Clair Ste. Genevieve
St. Francois St. Louis stone
Texas Vernon Warren
Washington Webster Wright
Missouri independent cities included are
St. Louis city
Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 8:39 PM CDT on September 01, 2014
758 PM CDT Mon Sep 1 2014
... Flash Flood Watch in effect until 7 am CDT Tuesday...
The National Weather Service in St Louis has expanded the
* Flash Flood Watch to include portions of southwest Illinois
and Missouri... including the following counties... in
southwest Illinois... Calhoun IL... Greene IL... Jersey IL and
Macoupin IL. In Missouri... Callaway MO... Lincoln MO...
Montgomery MO and Pike MO.
* Until 7 am CDT Tuesday
* thunderstorms producing heavy rainfall are expected to train
over the area throughout the evening... and then diminish later
tonight. Localized rains of 2 to 4 inches are possible.
* Heavy rainfall will result in flooding of low lying or poor
drainage areas... and ultimately dangerous flash flooding on
smaller creeks and streams. Significant rises on larger
streams and rivers will also be possible.
A Flash Flood Watch means that flash flooding is possible but not
imminent in the watch area. People in the watch area should be
aware of the possibility of heavy rainfall and flash flooding.
Check your preparedness requirements... especially if you live in
flood prone areas. Stay informed... and be ready for quick action
if flooding is observed or if a Flash Flood Warning is issued.
The National Weather Service in St Louis has issued an
* Urban and Small Stream Flood Advisory for...
Boone County in central Missouri...
Callaway County in central Missouri...
Montgomery County in east central Missouri...
* until 1100 PM CDT
* at 754 PM CDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated
pockets of heavy rain along Interstate 70 from just east of
Booneville... through Columbia... to east of Montgomery City. The
heavy rain was no continuous over the area... but some locations
had received just over one and one-half inches of rain since the
storms began early this evening. Current indications are that the
heaviest pockets of rain will be will be tapering off over the
next few hours.
* Runoff from this excessive rainfall will cause minor flooding to
occur... especially along small streams and near low water
crossings. Some locations that will experience minor flooding
include... Ashland... Centralia... Columbia... Fulton... Holts Summit...
Montgomery City... Wellsville... Auxvasse... Bellflower... Big
Spring... Buell... Hallsville... Jonesburg... lake mykee... midway...
Mineola... Murry... New Bloomfield... New Florence... Rocheport...
Shamrock... Sturgeon and Williamsburg.
An Urban and Small Stream Flood Advisory means river or stream flows
are elevated or ponding of water in urban or other areas is occurring
or is imminent.
Excessive runoff from this storm will cause minor flooding of small
creeks and streams... urban areas... highways... streets and underpasses
as well as other drainage areas and low lying spots.
Excessive runoff from this storm will cause minor flooding of small
creeks and streams... country roads... as well as farmland along the
banks of creeks and streams.
Lat... Lon 3925 9243 3924 9211 3906 9208 3906 9163
3915 9162 3914 9126 3885 9126 3884 9142
3871 9142 3867 9156 3871 9173 3856 9205
3857 9216 3864 9222 3868 9236 3872 9234
3876 9241 3881 9238 3883 9244 3898 9257
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:10 PM CDT on September 01, 2014
... Safety rules for severe thunderstorms...
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued by the National
Weather Service. In the interest of public safety, the
following safety rules are provided. Public and commercial
broadcast stations serving the affected area are asked to
broadcast these safety measures frequently while the watch is
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means conditions are favorable for
the development of severe thunderstorms in and close to the
watch area. If you are in the watch area, keep up to date of
the latest weather information. These storms can develop
rapidly so there may be occasions when advance warning is not
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning means a severe thunderstorm has
been observed or indicated on radar. If you are in the path
or near the storm, take immediate actions to protect life and
property. Follow these safety rules:
(1) in open country, you should seek shelter and avoid trees
which can be targets for lightning. If there is no shelter,
go to a ditch or culvert but beware of rising water which can
(2) when indoors, stay away from outside walls and windows
and go to an interior room on the lowest level. Avoid using
electrical appliances while the storm is nearby.
(3) in Mobile homes, you should leave and seek nearby safe
(4) if swimming or on a boat, you should get to shore as
quickly as possible and find shelter.
A thunderstorm is considered severe when it contains one inch
or larger diameter size hail and/or wind gusts of 58 miles an
hour or greater. A severe thunderstorm can also produce deadly
lightning and very heavy rain which can lead to flash flooding.
Remember, with any severe thunderstorm there is always the
possibility of tornadoes.
- Alabama - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory , Areal Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - Fire Weather Watch , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Indiana - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Tornado Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement
- Kentucky - Record Report
- Louisiana - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Maine - Flash Flood Warning
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch, Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Flood Warning
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- New Mexico - Record Report
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Oklahoma - Severe Thunderstorm Watch , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch
- Pennsylvania - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Weather Statement
- South Carolina - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Tennessee - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report