Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Carteret
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:58 PM EDT on September 20, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 21, 2014
... Beach hazards statement now in effect through Sunday evening...
* hazards... high risk of rip currents and strong longshore current
north of Cape Lookout. Dangerous shore break can be expected for
beaches north of Cape Hatteras through Sunday morning.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for dangerous rip
currents will be a few hours either side of low tide... which
will occur around noon Sunday.
* Potential impacts...
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach
access points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Strong longshore currents can sweep swimmers and surfers into rip
currents... piers... jetties and other hazardous areas. In many
cases the longshore current is strong enough to prevent swimmers
from being able to keep their feet on the bottom making it
difficult to return to shore.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new rip current hazard...
- Alaska - Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Iowa - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Special Statement
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Michigan - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Montana - Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report
- Nevada - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- North Carolina - Flood Advisory , Special Statement, Beach Hazard Statement , Beach Hazard Statement
- North Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Oregon - Record Report
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Hydrologic Statement
- Utah - Special Statement
- Virginia - Coastal Flood Advisory
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report