Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Onslow
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 8:13 PM EDT on September 16, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 17, 2014
... Beach hazards statement in effect through Wednesday evening...
The National Weather Service in Newport/Morehead City has issued
a beach hazards statement... which is in effect through Wednesday
* Hazards... moderate threat of rip currents and dangerous shore
* Location... all area beaches.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for dangerous rip
currents is a few hours either side of low tide... which will
occur around 9 am Wednesday.
* Potential impacts...
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins... jetties
and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay
attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach access
points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do not
attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Shore break occurs when waves break directly on the beach. The
most common injuries with strong shore break are neck and back
injuries... which most often occur when the powerful surf throws a
swimmer or surfer head first into the bottom. It is extremely
important to protect your head and neck whenever you are in
breaking waves by keeping your hands in front of you at all times.
- Alaska - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Blowing Dust Advisory , Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Georgia - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Special Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Carolina - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report