Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Dare
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:54 AM EDT on September 22, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 22, 2014
... Beach hazards statement in effect through this evening...
The National Weather Service in Newport/Morehead City has issued
a beach hazards statement... which is in effect from 8 am EDT this
morning through this evening.
* Hazards... strong rip currents.
* Location... north of Cape Lookout.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for strong rip currents
to develop are a couple hours either side of low tide... which
will occur around 1 PM this afternoon.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins... jetties
and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay
attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach access
points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do not
attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new rip current hazard...
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory
- Arizona - Flash Flood Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Watch
- Colorado - Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Maine - Dense Fog Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Nevada - Dense Smoke Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Coastal Hazard Statement
- North Carolina - Beach Hazard Statement
- Ohio - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Coastal Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement