Current Watches and Warnings
New Mexico, Quay County
Flash Flood Warning
Statement as of 6:05 PM MDT on September 21, 2014
Expires 10:30 PM EDT on September 21, 2014
539 PM MDT sun Sep 21 2014
... A Flash Flood Warning remains in effect until 630 PM MDT for
extreme northwestern Roosevelt... southwestern Quay... east central
Guadalupe and northeastern De Baca counties...
At 600 PM MDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to
indicate light to moderate rain near house... or about 22 miles
northeast of Fort Sumner. The storm producing rain was nearly
stationary. Up to 4 inches of rain has fallen over a widespread area
around house. Flash flooding may be occurring along highways 252 and
312 and along Truchas creek.
Do not attempt to drive through flooded low water crossings. Many
flash flood deaths occur in automobiles.
Lat... Lon 3481 10429 3472 10377 3452 10376 3469 10441
The National Weather Service in Albuquerque has issued a
* Flash Flood Warning for...
northeastern Curry County in east central New Mexico
central Quay County in east central New Mexico
* until 830 PM MDT
* at 534 PM MDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated
very heavy rain from a thunderstorm near Wheatland... or about 23
miles southeast of Tucumcari. The storm producing very heavy rain
was nearly stationary. Radar estimates more than 2 inches of rain
has fallen in one hours time. Flash flooding is likely along
Highway 469 between San Jon and Wheatland. High water flows are
likely in San Jon creek and Arroyo saladito.
Do not drive into areas where water covers the roadway. Many flash
flood deaths occur in automobiles.
Lat... Lon 3481 10304 3477 10331 3491 10364 3513 10360
Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 3:40 PM MDT on September 21, 2014
1159 am MDT sun Sep 21 2014
The National Weather Service in Albuquerque has issued an
* Arroyo and Small Stream Flood Advisory for...
northeastern De Baca County in east central New Mexico
central Guadalupe County in east central New Mexico
southwestern Quay County in east central New Mexico
extreme northwestern Roosevelt County in east central New Mexico
* until 630 PM MDT
* at 337 PM MDT National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated
heavy rain from thunderstorms over northern De Baca and southern
Guadalupe counties. These storms were producing one to two
inches or more of rain in just one hours time. These torrential
downpours will impact Sumner Lake through the afternoon.
* Strong flows and high water levels are expected in arroyos... small
streams and over low water crossings. Rapid runoff can also be
expected immediately over and downstream from wildfire burn scars.
The heavy rainfall and slow movement of these storms may result in
flooding of Road intersections and low-lying areas. Waters may begin
to run in normally dry arroyos.
Lat... Lon 3451 10378 3459 10466 3480 10457 3469 10370
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Monday evening...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* a portion of north and central New Mexico... including the
following areas... Central Highlands... Chaves County plains...
Curry County... De Baca County... eastern Lincoln County...
Guadalupe County... Quay County... Roosevelt County... San Francisco
River Valley... south central mountains... southwest Chaves County
and Southwest Mountains.
* Through Monday evening
* an upper level storm system over central California will track
slowly eastward today and pass through the central and southern
rockies Monday. Ahead of this system... an extended period of
moist low level east winds along with a tap of monsoon moisture
from Mexico is expected. The combination of these features will
lead to increased and sustained shower and thunderstorm activity
and therefore the likelihood of heavy rainfall over the watch
* Locations which have received heavy rainfall recently will be
most susceptible to flash flooding. Other vulnerable locations
include poor drainage areas... steep terrain and burn scars such
as the Little Bear and Whitewater Baldy. Keep a watchful eye on
small streams and arroyos... and avoid flooded low water
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead to
flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
Monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should flash
flood warnings be issued.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 4:18 PM MDT on September 21, 2014
Preliminary rainfall reports across north and central New Mexico
for the last 16 hours.
... County... storm total time/date of
location /inches/ measurement
... Catron County...
Mogollon 10 ESE 0.53 1050 am 9/21
Mogollon 14 se 0.40 950 am 9/21
Old Horse Springs 19 SSE 0.28 211 PM 9/21
- Pelona Mountain RAWS.
Beaverhead 0.14 708 am 9/21
- Beaverhead RAWS.
Reserve 1 WNW 0.14 1008 am 9/21
- Reserve RAWS.
Luna 1 ENE 0.14 1007 am 9/21
- Luna RAWS.
... Chaves County...
Dunken 2 NE 0.89 417 PM 9/21
- Dunken RAWS.
Roswell 3 NW 0.80 115 PM 9/21
Bitter Lake wildlife ref 14 NNE 0.78 416 PM 9/21
- Eight Mile draw RAWS.
Roswell 4 N 0.71 100 PM 9/21
Roswell 4 SSE 0.70 416 PM 9/21
- krow ASOS.
Mesa 13 SSE 0.27 552 am 9/21
Roswell 0.18 915 am 9/21
... Cibola County...
Pine Hill 14 SSE 0.16 336 PM 9/21
- Ramah RAWS.
... Lincoln County...
Arabela 12 ENE 1.32 341 PM 9/21
- portable RAWS.
Arabela 6 ENE 0.50 630 am 9/21
Bonito Lake 2 S 0.45 339 PM 9/21
Alto 2 se 0.22 830 am 9/21
Fort Stanton 2 SSW 0.19 415 PM 9/21
- ksrr AWOS.
Ruidoso 1 NNW 0.12 416 PM 9/21
- smokey bear RAWS.
Bonito Lake 0.10 414 PM 9/21
Bonito Lake 5 SW 0.10 415 PM 9/21
... McKinley County...
Zuni Pueblo 7 NW 0.22 842 am 9/21
- Zuni Buttes RAWS.
... Mora County...
Wagon Mound 11 ENE 0.30 1130 am 9/21
... San Juan County...
Navajo Dam 12 N 0.22 526 am 9/21
- Albino Canyon RAWS.
... Socorro County...
Socorro 2 S 0.38 413 PM 9/21
- konm AWOS.
La Joya 2 WNW 0.28 338 PM 9/21
- Alabama - Special Statement
- Arizona - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Colorado - Flood Watch / Flood Statement , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Dense Smoke Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Flood Advisory
- Ohio - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Frost Advisory
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement