Current Watches and Warnings
New Mexico, Curry County
Flash Flood Warning
Statement as of 7:44 PM MDT on September 21, 2014
Expires 10:30 PM EDT on September 21, 2014
... A Flash Flood Warning remains in effect until 830 PM MDT for
central Quay and northeastern Curry counties...
At 742 PM MDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to
indicate a thunderstorm producing very heavy rain near Wheatland... or
about 27 miles southeast of Tucumcari. The storm producing very heavy
rain was nearly stationary. Over 2.5 inches of rain has been
reported in Grady... and radar estimates over 4 inches in spots
between San Jon and Wheatland and eastward toward the Texas border.
Flash flooding is likely along Highway 469 between San Jon and
Wheatland as well as along the Grady Highway. High and fast water
flows are expected in Arroyo saladito... San Jon creek and tierra
Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flash floods. If flash flooding is observed... move to
Lat... Lon 3481 10304 3477 10331 3491 10364 3513 10360
Flash Flood Watch
Statement as of 11:59 AM MDT on September 21, 2014
... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Monday evening...
The Flash Flood Watch continues for
* a portion of north and central New Mexico... including the
following areas... Central Highlands... Chaves County plains...
Curry County... De Baca County... eastern Lincoln County...
Guadalupe County... Quay County... Roosevelt County... San Francisco
River Valley... south central mountains... southwest Chaves County
and Southwest Mountains.
* Through Monday evening
* an upper level storm system over central California will track
slowly eastward today and pass through the central and southern
rockies Monday. Ahead of this system... an extended period of
moist low level east winds along with a tap of monsoon moisture
from Mexico is expected. The combination of these features will
lead to increased and sustained shower and thunderstorm activity
and therefore the likelihood of heavy rainfall over the watch
* Locations which have received heavy rainfall recently will be
most susceptible to flash flooding. Other vulnerable locations
include poor drainage areas... steep terrain and burn scars such
as the Little Bear and Whitewater Baldy. Keep a watchful eye on
small streams and arroyos... and avoid flooded low water
A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead to
flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
Monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should flash
flood warnings be issued.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 4:18 PM MDT on September 21, 2014
Preliminary rainfall reports across north and central New Mexico
for the last 16 hours.
... County... storm total time/date of
location /inches/ measurement
... Catron County...
Mogollon 10 ESE 0.53 1050 am 9/21
Mogollon 14 se 0.40 950 am 9/21
Old Horse Springs 19 SSE 0.28 211 PM 9/21
- Pelona Mountain RAWS.
Beaverhead 0.14 708 am 9/21
- Beaverhead RAWS.
Reserve 1 WNW 0.14 1008 am 9/21
- Reserve RAWS.
Luna 1 ENE 0.14 1007 am 9/21
- Luna RAWS.
... Chaves County...
Dunken 2 NE 0.89 417 PM 9/21
- Dunken RAWS.
Roswell 3 NW 0.80 115 PM 9/21
Bitter Lake wildlife ref 14 NNE 0.78 416 PM 9/21
- Eight Mile draw RAWS.
Roswell 4 N 0.71 100 PM 9/21
Roswell 4 SSE 0.70 416 PM 9/21
- krow ASOS.
Mesa 13 SSE 0.27 552 am 9/21
Roswell 0.18 915 am 9/21
... Cibola County...
Pine Hill 14 SSE 0.16 336 PM 9/21
- Ramah RAWS.
... Lincoln County...
Arabela 12 ENE 1.32 341 PM 9/21
- portable RAWS.
Arabela 6 ENE 0.50 630 am 9/21
Bonito Lake 2 S 0.45 339 PM 9/21
Alto 2 se 0.22 830 am 9/21
Fort Stanton 2 SSW 0.19 415 PM 9/21
- ksrr AWOS.
Ruidoso 1 NNW 0.12 416 PM 9/21
- smokey bear RAWS.
Bonito Lake 0.10 414 PM 9/21
Bonito Lake 5 SW 0.10 415 PM 9/21
... McKinley County...
Zuni Pueblo 7 NW 0.22 842 am 9/21
- Zuni Buttes RAWS.
... Mora County...
Wagon Mound 11 ENE 0.30 1130 am 9/21
... San Juan County...
Navajo Dam 12 N 0.22 526 am 9/21
- Albino Canyon RAWS.
... Socorro County...
Socorro 2 S 0.38 413 PM 9/21
- konm AWOS.
La Joya 2 WNW 0.28 338 PM 9/21
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Hawaii - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report
- Idaho - Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Maine - Dense Fog Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Dense Smoke Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Dense Fog Advisory
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- Texas - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Frost Advisory
- Wyoming - Public Information Statement