Current Watches and Warnings
Fire Weather Watch
Statement as of 4:24 AM CDT on March 18, 2018
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on March 19, 2018
... Fire Weather Watch in effect from Monday afternoon through
Monday evening for very low humidity, gusty 20 foot winds, and dry
to very dry fuels for fire weather zones 248, 249, 250, 252, and
The National Weather Service in Brownsville has issued a Fire
Weather Watch, which is in effect from Monday afternoon through
* Affected area... fire weather zones 248, 249, 250, 252, and
* Wind... northwest increasing to 15 to 20 mph with a few gusts to
25 mph mainly between 2 and 5 PM Monday.
* Humidity... falling to between 10 and 15 percent between 2 and 5
PM, likely continuing at these levels through sunset.
* Fuel condition... dry to very dry.
* Thunderstorms... none.
* Highest threat... Zapata, Jim Hogg, and Starr County with a
slightly lesser threat in western Hidalgo and most of Brooks
* impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly and
potentially explosively and could become difficult to control or
contain. Outdoor burning is not recommended.
A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions
are forecast to occur. In general... these conditions include
sustained 20 foot winds of 25 mph or greater... humidity ranging
from below 25 percent in Zapata County to below 45 percent along
the coast... each lasting for 2 hours or more... and cured fuels.
Humidity below 25 percent in most areas will trigger fire danger
at lower wind speeds.
Ranchers and farmers are advised to park vehicles and welding or
grinding equipment on paved roads and not to venture into brush or
high grass during the most critical fire weather period Monday
Detailed decision tables are found at
http://weather.Gov/rgv/?N=mapcolors#fire. Listen for later
forecasts and possible red flag warnings.
- Alaska - Winter Weather Statement , Wind Chill Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Arizona - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- Florida - Special Statement
- Guam - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Idaho - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning
- Iowa - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Kansas - Fire Weather Warning
- Kentucky - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Michigan - Flood Warning
- Mississippi - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Nevada -
- New Mexico - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Fire Weather Warning
- North Dakota - Winter Weather Advisory
- Oklahoma - Fire Weather Warning
- Oregon - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- South Dakota - Flood Warning , Winter Weather Advisory
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , Flood Warning , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Warning, Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement
- Utah - Winter Weather Advisory , Avalanche Warning
- Washington - Winter Weather Advisory
- Wisconsin -
- Wyoming - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Special Statement