Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Absaroka Mountains
High Wind Warning
Statement as of 9:31 AM MST on November 28, 2014
Expires 7:00 PM EST on November 29, 2014
... High Wind Warning remains in effect until 5 PM MST Saturday...
A High Wind Warning remains in effect until 5 PM MST Saturday.
* Summary and timing... strong to damaging west to southwest
winds will continue across the absarokas and Cody foothills
through the day Saturday... with the strongest winds occurring
today and tonight. At 412 am... the Park County sheriff's
office had a gust of 82 mph... while a station on the west side
of Clark gusted to 107 mph. There have been reports of trees
being blown down... as well as power outages in the city of
* Wind... west 30 to 50 mph with gusts 60 to 80 mph. Gusts to 100
mph near Clark.
* Impacts... high risk for blow overs especially for lightweight
or high profile vehicles on north to south oriented roadways.
Power outages and additional trees being blown down.
Please report downed power lines to local law enforcement and
power company. Do not drive over or approach downed power lines...
they could be energized and dangerous.
The latest Road conditions provided by the Wyoming Department of
Transportation are available by calling 5-1-1 or on the internet
Special Weather Statement
Statement as of 2:01 AM MST on November 20, 2014
Expires 6:00 PM EST on December 20, 2014
... Significant winter weather expected across the central and
northern mountains beginning Friday night and lasting through Sunday
Moisture will be on the increase from the eastern Pacific starting
today... continuing through Saturday night. Light areas of snow will
begin to fall across the higher mountains central and northern
Wyoming starting later today... continuing off and on through the day
Friday. The mountains will see from a half inch to two inches of
snowfall through the day on Friday from this initial system.
However... after midnight Friday... a much stronger and more moisture
laden system will run into the mountains with periods of light to
moderate snowfall... lasting through Saturday night. Heaviest snowfall
is currently expected between mid afternoon and midnight on Saturday
before tapering off to light snow showers by Sunday morning.
Additionally... west to southwest winds will increase rapidly
overnight Friday and through the day on Saturday... blowing 40 to 50
mph with gusts between 60 and 70 mph at times. With the mountains
likely to see 5 to 10 inches of new snowfall by Sunday morning... the
combination of both snow and wind may cause significant drifting
along with much reduced visibilities.
All travelers and outdoor enthusiasts should be prepared
for this snow and wind event along with the possibility of delayed
travel... particularly over the region's mountain passes. Please
check back with the National Weather Service in Riverton through the
rest of the week for future forecasts and statements concerning
the this event.
Statement as of 12:38 AM MST on November 28, 2014
... Record high temperature set at Riverton WY...
high pressure brought warm conditions across much of the region
yesterday. A record high temperature of 58 degrees was set at
Riverton WY yesterday. This breaks the old record of 53 set in 1998.
Note the records for the Riverton site only date back to 1995.
The record for the cooperative observer site at Riverton for
November 27 is 65 degrees... which was last set in 1949.
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:07 AM MST on November 28, 2014
... Strongest winds Thursday and Thursday night ...
A combination of very Strong Mountain top winds... and a tight
pressure gradient resulted in damaging winds across the Absaroka
Mountains and adjacent Cody foothills. Reported wind gusts of around
80 mph occurred in Cody... while over 100 mph occurred on the west of
Clark... which is about 7 miles south of the Montana border along
Highway 120. This has resulted in some trees being blown down as
well as power outages in the city of Cody.
Location speed time/date
... Fremont County...
7 NW Lander (5797 ft) 75 mph 1241 PM 11/27
10 W Fort Washakie (9235 ft) 64 mph 1101 PM 11/27
Crowheart (6099 ft) 57 mph 0132 PM 11/27
7 SW Muddy Gap (7380 ft) 55 mph 0150 PM 11/27
Lander Airport (5586 ft) 53 mph 0155 am 11/28
10 N DuBois (8085 ft) 53 mph 1157 PM 11/27
South Pass (8491 ft) 51 mph 0335 PM 11/27
2 W South Pass City (8185 ft) 49 mph 1216 PM 11/27
Red Canyon (6768 ft) 45 mph 1155 am 11/27
Beaver Rim (6784 ft) 42 mph 0321 am 11/28
8 W South Pass City (8120 ft) 40 mph 0150 PM 11/27
... Hot Springs County...
10 S Meeteetse (7127 ft) 60 mph 0442 am 11/28
Boysen Reservoir (7300 ft) 60 mph 0915 PM 11/27
... Johnson County...
7 SW Barnum (6440 ft) 58 mph 1046 PM 11/27
12 N Kaycee (5287 ft) 45 mph 0506 PM 11/27
5 ESE story (4673 ft) 41 mph 0321 am 11/28
13 NNW Buffalo (4737 ft) 40 mph 0150 PM 11/27
... Natrona County...
outer drive - Casper (5493 ft) 53 mph 1031 PM 11/27
16 S Hiland (6380 ft) 52 mph 0710 am 11/27
Casper Airport (5320 ft) 41 mph 1130 am 11/27
... Park County...
5 WNW Clark (4659 ft) 107 mph 0501 am 11/28
chief Joseph Hwy (8136 ft) 88 mph 1105 PM 11/27
sheriff's office in Cody 82 mph 0412 am 11/28
10 WNW Cody (8401 ft) 71 mph 0240 am 11/28
8 N Meeteetse (5926 ft) 68 mph 1236 PM 11/27
Powell Airport (5050 ft) 60 mph 0515 am 11/28
3 W Powell (4505 ft) 56 mph 1128 PM 11/27
1 W Clark (4270 ft) 53 mph 0351 am 11/28
Cody Airport (5100 ft) 52 mph 0535 am 11/28
1 WNW Powell (4386 ft) 51 mph 0515 am 11/28
chief Joseph Hwy mile 9 43 mph 0112 am 11/28
Meeteetse (5797 ft) 40 mph 0913 am 11/27
... Teton County...
Summit - Jackson resort 58 mph 0130 PM 11/27
... Washakie County...
S. Bighorn mts (6554 ft) 41 mph 1140 PM 11/27
Observations are collected from a variety of sources with varying
equipment and exposure. Not all data listed are considered official.
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Delaware - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Fire Weather Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch
- Maryland - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- New Jersey - Public Information Statement
- New Mexico - Fire Weather Watch
- New York - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning , Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report
- Ohio - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- Rhode Island - Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch
- South Dakota - Special Statement
- Texas - Tornado Watch
- Utah - Special Weather Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement