Current Watches and Warnings
Wyoming, Northeast Johnson County
Areal Flood Advisory
Statement as of 8:37 PM MST on March 07, 2014
Expires 10:00 PM EST on March 08, 2014
The National Weather Service in Riverton has issued a
* Flood Advisory for an ice jam and snow melt in...
Johnson County in north central Wyoming...
Natrona County in central Wyoming...
* until 800 PM MST Saturday
* over the next 24 hours... warming temperatures will bring an
increasing chance for ice jam flooding in and near the Powder
River in northern Natrona and southern Johnson counties.
Additionally... snowmelt over the next couple of days from water
unable to filter into the frozen ground... may instead flow into
low areas and outlets... causing ponding of these low lying areas.
Temperatures will rise into the mid and upper 50s on Saturday and
Sunday. ..so expect flooding probabilities to increase with the
Warm days and freezing temperatures at night will allow the
threat for ice jamming to continue along the Powder River through
the the weekend and possibly Monday. The threat will begin to
subside when the most of river ice has broken up in the middle of
the river channel. Ice jam flooding is typically most severe near
* Some locations that could experience minor flooding from ice jams
include... areas near and around the Powder River... particularly in
south central Johnson County. The foothills of the southern
Bighorn Mountains will be the most susceptable to snowmelt
River ice is very unpredictable... and may move and jam with little
notice. Any ice jam can cause flooding as the ice dam can cause
rapid increases in river levels in a short period of time. People
living near these rivers should monitor the situation closely and be
ready to move to higher ground if flooding occurs.
Excessive runoff from snowmelt can cause minor flooding of small
creeks and streams. Additionally... country roads and farmlands
along the banks of creeks and streams and other low lying areas are
subject to minor flooding.
To report flooding... have the nearest law enforcement agency relay
your report to the National Weather Service forecast office in
Report hazardous weather to the National Weather Service office in
Riverton at 1-800-211-1448.
Lat... Lon 4244 10607 4243 10751 4244 10753 4350 10753
4350 10711 4432 10714 4444 10720 4446 10730
4456 10737 4457 10601
Statement as of 12:41 AM MST on March 08, 2014
... Record daily maximum precipitation set at Casper WY...
an upper level disturbance... and its associated front... brought
rain... .and some snow... across portions of the cowboy state
yesterday. A record precipitation of 0.32 inches was set at Casper
WY yesterday. This breaks the old record of 0.19 set in 2012.
- Alaska - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report
- Colorado - Winter Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Record Report
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Warning , Wind Advisory
- Idaho - Special Statement
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Special Statement, Air Quality Alert , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Winter Weather Advisory
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Warning
- Maine - Record Report
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Missouri - Special Statement , Record Report
- Montana - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Flood Watch / Flood Statement , High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement
- New Hampshire - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- New Mexico - Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Storm Warning , Fire Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Freezing Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Oklahoma - Winter Weather Advisory
- Oregon - High Wind Watch
- South Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report
- Tennessee - Flood Warning , Record Report
- Texas - Winter Weather Advisory
- Vermont - Air Quality Alert
- Virginia - High Surf Advisory , Freezing Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Watch , Special Statement
- West Virginia - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Air Quality Alert
- Wyoming - Areal Flood Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report